Skip to main content

Brave Girl

I have one tough little girl!  She deals with so many doctors' appointments and medical procedures.  Through it all, she has a smile on her face and a hop in her step!  I'm amazed that a child with so many obstacles in her life is still so happy!

We've recently started talking openly about Abby's ribs with her and how Dr. C is going to fix her ribs.  We're obviously not going into detail about the surgery, but we wanted to start an open discussion so that she would get more used to the idea if and when we actually move forward with surgery.  It seems to be helping, because she's been telling everyone that Dr. C is going to fix her ribs! (Say it in a sassy voice with your hands on your hips to get the full effect!)

Today's adventure was ophthalmology, where we discovered that Abby's eyes are still crossing quite a bit.  After discussing giving her bifocals (for a three year old!!!) he finally decided that it would be too hard to explain to her how to use them.  He increased her prescription by quite a bit (it went from +4 in both eyes to +6), and the next step will probably be the bifocals--or patching--or both.  Surgery was also mentioned, but we're really hoping to avoid that.

Our next adventure starts on Wednesday when we head to CHOP.  You've probably heard about "The Beast" that is heading toward the Mid Atlantic Wednesday night and into Thursday.  Yeah. We're not friends.  We are going to try our absolute hardest to make it to these appointments.  They're too hard to schedule to just cancel them!!!

So in addition to praying for Abby's appointments, a joint-decision about the rib surgery from both doctors, and clarity of thought as we ask questions and make a decision about surgery...please pray that we stay safe during this crazy weather!!!

Comments

Karen said…
Praying for safety for travel and for all good outcomes :)
Mary Lou said…
Julie....
"I have one tough little girl! She deals with so many doctors' appointments and medical procedures. Through it all, she has a smile on her face and a hop in her step! I'm amazed that a child with so many obstacles in her life is still so happy!". Mmmm.... Abby is a inspiration to me!! I do mean that!! ;)
"She's been telling everyone that Dr. C is going to fix her ribs! (Say it in a sassy voice with your hands on your hips to get the full effect!)". I literally did!! And saying that Dr. C. was going to fix my ribs with a sassy voice made me smile!! Thanks, Abby!! ;-D
Praying that "The Beast" stays away so that you can keep these appointments!! Remember. Weather forecasters are seldom ever correct!! ;)
--Raelyn

Popular posts from this blog

Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome

If you happen to pick up the latest Reader's Digest, there is an article in there about Piper Breinholt , a four year old with CCMS.  If you've been around here a while, you'll remember wayyyyyy back when we first received Abby's diagnosis that I was able to speak to Piper's mom, Reagan.  The article is more about their story and not as much about the ins and outs of CCMS, but I think it's probably enough to get some people googling it and I'm hoping a few will end up here. Every once in a while, I give a blog post the title of Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome so that it would show up in Google.  My ever-present hope is that people will stumble across my blog and 1) be encouraged by the hope we have in Christ, 2) feel a connection with someone in a similar situation as them, or 3) get excited over the miracles that have been performed in Abby's life!!  (a combination of all 3 is great too!)  :)   Notice that it's not to get famous and it never wi

The Potty Man

Caleb LOVES to go potty! I have never heard a potty training story like this one....Caleb tells us when he needs to go, we take his diaper off, and he goes! Now, is it perfect? No, not at all! We aren't trying to potty train at at all, but we figure every time he goes is one less diaper we have to change! The only time we consistantly put him on the potty is when we give him a bath (he always pees in the tub, so we know he needs to go!) He almost always goes on the potty now instead of the tub though. When he's not "really" going potty, he's pretending to go potty! He's such a funny kid!

Lego Party: Favors

I'm a little slow in posting the Lego Party pictures, but I think I have a few excuses I could use.  At any rate, I wanted to share what I did for the party!  It will take a few posts, so stay with me.  I'll start with how I did the favors. These are the goody bags I made.  I just bought solid colored gift bags and matched scrapbook paper to each bag.  Then I punched circles and attached them with the 3D foam tape so that the circles were raised. I used the keychain (explained below) as a name tag on the outside. These are Duplo blocks.  I put a round magnet on the back and...voila!  A magnet!  (note:  hot glue doesn't work so well...I ended up reglueing them with my apoxy because the magnets fell off.) I made crayons using Lego man crayons.  Yes, I know this guy has lost half of his leg.  The others were already packaged and I didn't want to open one up just to get a picture.  I used a Lego mold  to make the crayons.  Caleb put small pieces of crayon in each m