Skip to main content

Florida 2014: Disability Access Service Card

Abby was able to get the Disability Access Service Card, which made it possible for her to wait for a ride inside in the air conditioning rather than having to stand for a long time out in the heat.  Basically, we walked up to the Fast Pass attendant and he/she wrote down on our card when we could return for the ride.  When that time came, we went through the fast pass line.  While we were waiting, we could ride another ride with a short wait time, get cool, eat, or take a bathroom break.  (You could only use the DASC for one ride at a time.)  It was extremely helpful in protecting Abby from the heat.  With her reduced lung capacity, she has to breathe much harder in the heat.  We did our best to keep her cool, but waiting for a ride for 90 minutes just won't work for her.

If you or your child has a disability, I would highly recommend that you get the DASC when you go to Disney World.  I know there's been some grumbling about the new card versus the way they used to do it, but I thought this worked out very well and was exactly what we needed.  I also never used the old method, so I don't know any differently!

We also had a tag for the stroller that allowed us to take it in line (treating it like a wheelchair because Abby can't stand for too long), but it wasn't really necessary because we were able to go through the fast pass line.  If we weren't able to use the DASC for a ride and it was a long wait, I would have used the stroller tag, but that didn't happen.

FYI, they have a similar program at Lego Land.  It is not advertised at all and there's not a single mention of it on their website, but it is set up the same way as Disney World's program.  We didn't use it much at all because the lines were much, much shorter, but it is nice to know that they have it if you need it.

It's very nice that they have these services at Disney World.  Otherwise, Abby would have really struggled and we probably wouldn't have gotten to do nearly as much as we did!  I think it's especially important in the summer when the lines are long and it is very hot.  I am interested to see what Disney is like during other times of the year and whether we would need the pass as often.  I would venture to say we would not.

Comments

Unknown said…
Half your calories are devoted to thermoregulation. Did Abby have a good time?

Popular posts from this blog

Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome

If you happen to pick up the latest Reader's Digest, there is an article in there about Piper Breinholt , a four year old with CCMS.  If you've been around here a while, you'll remember wayyyyyy back when we first received Abby's diagnosis that I was able to speak to Piper's mom, Reagan.  The article is more about their story and not as much about the ins and outs of CCMS, but I think it's probably enough to get some people googling it and I'm hoping a few will end up here. Every once in a while, I give a blog post the title of Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome so that it would show up in Google.  My ever-present hope is that people will stumble across my blog and 1) be encouraged by the hope we have in Christ, 2) feel a connection with someone in a similar situation as them, or 3) get excited over the miracles that have been performed in Abby's life!!  (a combination of all 3 is great too!)  :)   Notice that it's not to get famous and it never wi

The Potty Man

Caleb LOVES to go potty! I have never heard a potty training story like this one....Caleb tells us when he needs to go, we take his diaper off, and he goes! Now, is it perfect? No, not at all! We aren't trying to potty train at at all, but we figure every time he goes is one less diaper we have to change! The only time we consistantly put him on the potty is when we give him a bath (he always pees in the tub, so we know he needs to go!) He almost always goes on the potty now instead of the tub though. When he's not "really" going potty, he's pretending to go potty! He's such a funny kid!

Lego Party: Favors

I'm a little slow in posting the Lego Party pictures, but I think I have a few excuses I could use.  At any rate, I wanted to share what I did for the party!  It will take a few posts, so stay with me.  I'll start with how I did the favors. These are the goody bags I made.  I just bought solid colored gift bags and matched scrapbook paper to each bag.  Then I punched circles and attached them with the 3D foam tape so that the circles were raised. I used the keychain (explained below) as a name tag on the outside. These are Duplo blocks.  I put a round magnet on the back and...voila!  A magnet!  (note:  hot glue doesn't work so well...I ended up reglueing them with my apoxy because the magnets fell off.) I made crayons using Lego man crayons.  Yes, I know this guy has lost half of his leg.  The others were already packaged and I didn't want to open one up just to get a picture.  I used a Lego mold  to make the crayons.  Caleb put small pieces of crayon in each m