Skip to main content

Vacation of Desperation?

We took a little jaunt to Philadelphia yesterday, jokingly saying that we were pretty desperate to get a vacation.  I can assure you, this was no vacation!

Monday evening, we noticed that Abby's incisions were oozing a bit and the drainage was enough that it was seeping through her shirt.  Everything was pretty red and goopy, so I followed the nurse practitioner's advice and took pictures.  I called first thing in the morning on Tuesday and emailed them the pictures.  I got a very quick call back saying that we needed to bring her in...to CHOP...4 hours away.  I begged and pleaded with them to let us go to Hopkins (you know, that world renowned hospital a mere two hours away?!), but they insisted that we go to the CHOP ER with the expectation to be admitted for a few days.  Yay.

So, I called Matt (who had already left for work) and told him to turn around.  We hurriedly packed some stuff in the suitcase and called my mom to make some arrangements for Caleb.  I had just put him on the bus for his first day of school and now we wouldn't be there when he got home.  Sigh.  Between my mom and my sister, they expertly took care of everything with Chloe and Caleb.  <3 p="" them="">
At Hopkins, when we have been told to go through the ER for respiratory issues, the ER is expecting us and a pulmonologist is alerted upon our arrival.  We are seen pretty immediately by people who specialize in the reason we were there.

Not the case here, and I was kind of laughed at for thinking that would be how it worked.  Nope.  We saw three nurses, an ER resident, and the ER attending before we ever saw an orthopedics resident.  And nobody in the ER had ever heard of VEPTRs or had even met Dr. Campbell.

Now you know my thoughts on residents.  I'm not a fan.  But I did like this orthopedics resident more than most because he didn't make any decisions without talking to Dr. Campbell.  Dr. C couldn't see us because he was in the OR, but at least he was consulted.

After much deliberation, it was finally decided to start Abby on some antibiotics and change some of the steristrips.  Yep, that's it.  That was all they did after we trekked four hours and abandoned our son on his first day of school.  This could have easily been done at Hopkins (or at the pediatrician's office, for that matter!), so we were a bit frustrated.  Now we know.  I think we'll be going to our pediatrician before we even bother calling CHOP.  For whatever reason, they are anti-Hopkins and want every little thing done there...xrays, bloodwork, pre-op...everything!

All of this in the ER took quite a long time and we'd already made hotel arrangements because we were expecting to be admitted.  The cancelation deadline for the hotel had passed by the time we were discharged, so we figured we might at as well stay if we had to pay anyway.  And, it was rather late and Matt wasn't all about driving 8 hours in one day with a 4 hour ER visit in between.

We left this morning and got home around 2:30 after picking Chloe up.  Caleb was very happy to see us and everyone is happy to be home!  Abby's back is looking a little better with 4 doses of antibiotics in her and she was thrilled to take a bath in the tub instead of having the lie down on the counter.  (I used this clear plastic covering from the hospital to cover up the wound and didn't fill the tub at all, but she was a much happier little girl!)

The things we do to get a vacation around here!  :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome

If you happen to pick up the latest Reader's Digest, there is an article in there about Piper Breinholt , a four year old with CCMS.  If you've been around here a while, you'll remember wayyyyyy back when we first received Abby's diagnosis that I was able to speak to Piper's mom, Reagan.  The article is more about their story and not as much about the ins and outs of CCMS, but I think it's probably enough to get some people googling it and I'm hoping a few will end up here. Every once in a while, I give a blog post the title of Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome so that it would show up in Google.  My ever-present hope is that people will stumble across my blog and 1) be encouraged by the hope we have in Christ, 2) feel a connection with someone in a similar situation as them, or 3) get excited over the miracles that have been performed in Abby's life!!  (a combination of all 3 is great too!)  :)   Notice that it's not to get famous and it never wi

The Potty Man

Caleb LOVES to go potty! I have never heard a potty training story like this one....Caleb tells us when he needs to go, we take his diaper off, and he goes! Now, is it perfect? No, not at all! We aren't trying to potty train at at all, but we figure every time he goes is one less diaper we have to change! The only time we consistantly put him on the potty is when we give him a bath (he always pees in the tub, so we know he needs to go!) He almost always goes on the potty now instead of the tub though. When he's not "really" going potty, he's pretending to go potty! He's such a funny kid!

Lego Party: Favors

I'm a little slow in posting the Lego Party pictures, but I think I have a few excuses I could use.  At any rate, I wanted to share what I did for the party!  It will take a few posts, so stay with me.  I'll start with how I did the favors. These are the goody bags I made.  I just bought solid colored gift bags and matched scrapbook paper to each bag.  Then I punched circles and attached them with the 3D foam tape so that the circles were raised. I used the keychain (explained below) as a name tag on the outside. These are Duplo blocks.  I put a round magnet on the back and...voila!  A magnet!  (note:  hot glue doesn't work so well...I ended up reglueing them with my apoxy because the magnets fell off.) I made crayons using Lego man crayons.  Yes, I know this guy has lost half of his leg.  The others were already packaged and I didn't want to open one up just to get a picture.  I used a Lego mold  to make the crayons.  Caleb put small pieces of crayon in each m