Skip to main content

A Successful First Week!

Thanks to a bunch of wonderful people, Abby's first week of school went perfectly!  She absolutely loves it and asked today if she was going to school. She was disappointed to hear that we were only in the car to go to Caleb's fencing practice. :)

Our awesome new PT was there almost every second of the first three days (T, I feel like I am almost cheating on you by calling MB awesome!  But you know how much we adore you!) and examined everything closely to see how she could help Abby to be more independent.  One of the custodians heard that Abby couldn't do a particular style of paper towel dispenser, so she switched it out for one she could do! I was so surprised and grateful!  There's a stool there so that she can reach things, and we have trained the bus drivers and assistants (she will ride a different bus coming and going) in all of the safety precautions.  

 Abby's teachers, the wonderful Mrs. C and Mrs. Y, have put a lot of procedures in place to help keep Abby safe.  They even incorporated the word fragile into a vocabulary lesson so that it could be discussed each day last week and then used to describe Abby on her first day so that the class would understand the need to be gentle.  The VP and dean have popped in to make sure everything is running smoothly, and it is!  

 The audiologist has checked in each day to make sure Abby is accessing the information in the classroom.  Her FM system has been ordered and should be here this week.  That is a special microphone the teacher wears that transmits her voice directly into Abby's hearing aid so that she won't miss anything.  The nurse has been right on top of the crazy Code Orange days we have been having, so Abby hasn't made it out to the playground yet....hopefully next week!   

I sent in a little thank you with a pack of Extra Gum thanking the people above for all of the EXTRA work they put into helping Abby have an awesome first week of school.  It's little, but I definitely wanted them to know that I realize this is not the norm and we appreciate it!!

I met with the EMTs at the local fire department to fill them in on her school status (she is already registered as medically fragile, but only at our house--and I needed to give them updates anyway).  If there are any airway emergencies, a helicopter will automatically be dispatched from JHH at the same time as the ambulance.  I like that...a lot.  All of this will pop up on her file if someone calls 911 on her.  They also have multiple copies of her medical history.  

So yeah....a lot of prepping and work for a lot of people, all to keep my sweet girl safe!  But the grin on her face at the end of the day makes it all worth it.  She absolutely loves every minute of the day!  The girl loves life--what can I say?!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome

If you happen to pick up the latest Reader's Digest, there is an article in there about Piper Breinholt , a four year old with CCMS.  If you've been around here a while, you'll remember wayyyyyy back when we first received Abby's diagnosis that I was able to speak to Piper's mom, Reagan.  The article is more about their story and not as much about the ins and outs of CCMS, but I think it's probably enough to get some people googling it and I'm hoping a few will end up here. Every once in a while, I give a blog post the title of Cerebrocostomandibular Syndrome so that it would show up in Google.  My ever-present hope is that people will stumble across my blog and 1) be encouraged by the hope we have in Christ, 2) feel a connection with someone in a similar situation as them, or 3) get excited over the miracles that have been performed in Abby's life!!  (a combination of all 3 is great too!)  :)   Notice that it's not to get famous and it never wi

The Potty Man

Caleb LOVES to go potty! I have never heard a potty training story like this one....Caleb tells us when he needs to go, we take his diaper off, and he goes! Now, is it perfect? No, not at all! We aren't trying to potty train at at all, but we figure every time he goes is one less diaper we have to change! The only time we consistantly put him on the potty is when we give him a bath (he always pees in the tub, so we know he needs to go!) He almost always goes on the potty now instead of the tub though. When he's not "really" going potty, he's pretending to go potty! He's such a funny kid!

Lego Party: Favors

I'm a little slow in posting the Lego Party pictures, but I think I have a few excuses I could use.  At any rate, I wanted to share what I did for the party!  It will take a few posts, so stay with me.  I'll start with how I did the favors. These are the goody bags I made.  I just bought solid colored gift bags and matched scrapbook paper to each bag.  Then I punched circles and attached them with the 3D foam tape so that the circles were raised. I used the keychain (explained below) as a name tag on the outside. These are Duplo blocks.  I put a round magnet on the back and...voila!  A magnet!  (note:  hot glue doesn't work so well...I ended up reglueing them with my apoxy because the magnets fell off.) I made crayons using Lego man crayons.  Yes, I know this guy has lost half of his leg.  The others were already packaged and I didn't want to open one up just to get a picture.  I used a Lego mold  to make the crayons.  Caleb put small pieces of crayon in each m